Why is it more challenging and stressful to be with family during holiday periods or extended family vacations? Because you go in to those periods with high expectations rather than approaching holidays more realistically. To make this time more enjoyable, you can:
- Plan ahead with important logistics (travel, money, food, rest).
- Anticipate how you’ll relate with different family members and friends
- including what has triggered you or helped you in the past.
- Choose your battles more thoughtfully.
- Set clear boundaries around how you want to approach your visit.
- Anticipate changes and transitions tied to aging and illness.
- Respond with adult emotional resources without letting your reactions get hijacked as they might have in your youth.